Races
Photographs and Text by Glenn Hunt
Once upon a time the only people who came through Birdsville where drovers moving their cattle along the Diamantina River.

Birdsville's history starts when the first store to service the drovers was opened in 1878 and it was only three years later that the first race meeting was held. By 1887 the town boasted three hotels, two stores, a billiard room, police station, customs house, blacksmith, baker, butcher, saddler, shoemaker, cordialmaker, jockey club and a bank.

Until federation in 1901 Birdsville was essentially a stop off point for drovers to pay state fees for the transportation of cattle across the border to South Australia where they would then drove down the Birdsville track to the railhead at Marree where the cattle would be transported to the coastal markets.

Index | Reportage | Conceptual | Projects | Links | Search | Support | About
All Rights Reserved. © foto8 2001