Mother: Zenaba

I was in the house with all my children when the bomb hit, injuring me and 3 of my 6 children.

It was a Friday. The plane came at 3pm in the afternoon. First we heard the sound of the plane arriving and then – it was so fast - the bombs, my brother in law says 6 – were dropped, 14 women were killed at once. A lot of other people were injured too. A bomb landed right on our house – it just missed landing on us directly. Our neighbours were all killed. It was complete panic. Our house was burning – we got just outside of it but we couldn’t move, because of the injuries. I just panicked. I grabbed the baby and my other child but I had to leave the other and I was just screaming for someone to come and help us. 2 of my daughters, my baby and I were all injured.

As soon as I had got all the children, I wanted to leave but the airplanes just kept on bombing, it didn’t stop. So, we fled into an empty house and just waited for it to end.

My brother-in-law counted. He said that the airplanes came over twice, and that they dropped 6 bombs each time. 6 bombs twice. Everyone just fled, houses, everything, even ,donkeys were burning. It felt like forever. It was so frightening and the children were all in such pain.

Finally when the bombing stopped, we fled. We couldn’t treat the wounds as we had nothing at all, so we just wrapped them in cloth and fled. 3 days later, we got to the border of Chad. We had no donkeys, we had nothing at all. We walked. We just took the injured children on our shoulders. At last, when we arrived at the Chad frontier there was a cart that took us to the hospital. First, we were in the hospital in Birak but then they evacuated us to Guereda. My daughter’s leg was amputated in Guereda. She was 3 months in hospital there and has only just gotten out. She has only just arrived here.

My sadness is for my children. I want to work to help build it here, but my leg begins to hurt. Oxfam I think might help us, so I hope my older daughter will be able to keep going to school. We have nothing here. We don’t even have clothes. They were all burned. And ever since this happened, I have had a cough and respiratory problems.

They only gave us one container for water and one sack. As we only have one container for water, we have to go twice a day to fetch water – my older daughter has to do it. In the day and in the night. And here, they give us firewood, but it is not enough for the 5 days it needs to last . It is difficult,

Before this happened, everyone, all of us could do something. Now, none of us can work, we have nothing we can do. Only my oldest daughter can work. Before everyone could. She has to do it all now.

In Sudan, life was good. We had a one cow and 4 sheep – all taken by the Janjaweed. We had a lot of land too. We grew crops and sold things. It was a good life. Life in Sudan was good, but here we are like strangers. Before we knew everyone but here we are like prisoners.

Daughter: Caltuna, 13

I heard the noise of the airplane, but it was so fast. I was already on the ground and I realised there was blood , I realised my leg was broken, people came to help. There was a lot of pain but then, there wasn’t.

I have pain at night in my (amputated) leg. I am now always thinking about how I lost a leg and the others can run around and play and I can’t. I was in school in Sudan, but here I am not. When I had 2 legs, I would go to school with my friends but now I can’t. I wanted to be a teacher when I grew up, but now I can’t. Now I can’t even go to school.

And my friends now don’t come to see me anymore, they don’t want to see me anymore and I can’t play and it all just makes me very very sad. And it is not all healed yet. I need to stay at home.